If you followed the instructions in the app and they didn’t work, try this:
- Select a very yummy treat that is of very high value, and save this for only the “Come” exercise (Such as chicken, cheese, bacon, etc).
- With the dog only a few feet away, show them the yummy treat you have.
- Say “Come!” in a very excited and happy voice. Do not repeat this command.
- At the FIRST step, they take towards you, ‘Click’ and use an excited and happy voice to encourage the dog to keep moving towards you.
- Once they arrive to you, let them have a few treats, one at a time, and give as much physical and verbal affection as they will enjoy.
- Practice holding their collar (let go if they pull away) while they are eating the treat. If they do pull away, stop feeding the treat until they come close enough again that you can just touch their collar without actually taking it.
- Have someone with a leash on the dog, standing behind them. This is to make sure the dog cannot leave the exercise. They don’t have to “come” but they cannot go away.
- With this same yummy snack, place it on the floor in between you and your dog, with only a few feet of space in between the two of you.
- When the dog takes those first steps towards the treat, praise them, but do not make any moves towards them.
- If the dog retreats back to their starting point, that is fine. You will get up, put another treat on the floor, but this time a little closer to you. Keep repeating this until the dog can come all the way to you, to take food from your hand. Jackpot (give a lot of tasty treats) this reward so they understand this is the best final goal.
- If the dog does NOT retreat back to the starting point and continues to move forward to you, keep praising and have food ready in your hand to pay them right away.
- Once they arrive to your hand, you can praise them with “Good COME. Good COME.” Putting emphasis on this work, to associate that word with the reward for coming to you!